23.7.08

funny business

I've been thinking about humor.

I really appreciate people who can make me laugh.

Being funny is a gift and an art.

Sitting alone with my husband one night I looked over at him and said, "I am not funny." To which Drew said, "Huh?" and then he loked at me with a pitying look and continued, "Lets just say that of the two of us, you're the serious one. But you sure know how to laugh at things that are funny."

I really wish I was funny. Once in a blue moon something will come out of my mouth that is truly, smartly funny. And it always surprises me. More often than not I keep my mouth shut and let the really funny people do their thing, because usually when I try comedy I fall hard.

There are different kinds of funny. Off the top of my head I can think of slapstick, wit, sarcasm... hmm.. there's gotta be more. what's your favorite funny?

I love wit. It takes thought, timing... I cant stand sarcasm. It's like cheap humor. Anybody can do sarcasm. Heck, even I could do sarcasm. Good slapstick usually gets laughs out of me too - but then i feel mean: sitting comfortably, laughing at someone elses misfortune.

But as my Love pointed out I can laugh. I love to laugh, it is so good for us, you know? More often than not I find myself laughing much louder than anyone else in the room, and I quickly turn down the volume and think, "Gosh! How long was I laughing so obnoxiously loud? Does it sound that loud to everyone else? Why doesnt someone ever tell me to shut my trap?"

I guess I must have good friends. And thank God so many of them are funny, otherwise Ms.Serious here would shrivel up from humor deprivation.

happy to have internet again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay - you're back!! OH and a kind of funny...there's that deliriously tired - nothin makes sense but its funny - funny...have a great day

welcome back 8-)